If you like your hash browns crispy on the outside and moist on the inside, try this simple recipe. Russets are best for hash browns but I’ve also used red and Yukon gold. We Polish girls love our potatoes! - Jenny Jones
- 1 russet potato
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- salt & pepper to taste
- Peel and grate the potato.
- Roll shredded potato up in 4-ply of paper towels and squeeze out the moisture. Repeat if necessary until most of the liquid is gone.
- Transfer to a bowl and toss with salt & pepper.
- Preheat a large fry pan (preferable non-stick) to medium-high.
- Place one teaspoon of oil in the hot pan and swirl around.
- Add potatoes, patting them evenly and cleaning up edges.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook undisturbed and uncovered for 15 minutes.
- When bottom is crisp, turn potatoes over. If needed, cut into wedges for easier turning. Add 1/2 teaspoon of oil and swirl it around to reach all sides.
- Cook another 15 minutes until golden and crisp. Taste for salt.