Citrus Chiffon Cake
Separate the eggs while cold (it's easier) but let them come to room temperature before using. It's important that there is no grease whatsoever touching the egg whites and no grease in the angel cake pan. - Jenny Jones
- zest of one large orange & one lemon
- juice of one orange + water to equal 3/4 cup
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup egg whites (about 6) at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Remove zest from the orange and lemon & set aside.
- Combine orange juice and cold water to equal 3/4 cup.
- In a small bowl, combine juice/water, oil, yolks, vanilla, and zests. Set aside.
- Sift dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Add juice mixture to flour mixture, beating for one minute with electric mixer on medium. Set aside.
- In another large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.
- Very gently fold egg whites into flour mixture.
- Spread batter into an UNGREASED angel cake pan. Bake for 60 minutes.
- Cool upside down in pan.