Be sure to aerate your flour before measuring. I find the whole wheat version just as good as the white flour version. This is a forgiving dough. If it's too firm to handle, stir in a little milk. Too soft? Add a bit more flour. - Jenny Jones
- 1/3 cup butter at room temperature (I use unsalted)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups cups all purpose flour (or 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour + 1 1/4 cups a/p flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- With an electric mixer on medium speed, combine the butter, oil, sugar, egg and vanilla until smooth, about 1 minute.
- On low speed add flour, baking powder, and salt.
- FOR CUTOUTS: Cover and chill dough for 1 hour to overnight or freeze for 20 minutes. To bake, divide dough in half. Roll each half 1/4-inch thick and cut out shapes. (re-roll scraps) Lift cookies onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, add sprinkles and bake at 375° F for 9-12 minutes.
- FOR COOKIE PRESS: Do not chill dough. Press cookies onto an ungreased baking sheet. Add sprinkles and bake at 375° F for 9-12 minutes.
Note: For cookie press, it's best to use a finely ground colored sugar to sprinkle, which will stick better.