This is what I give every Christmas and everyone loves it. Pop the corn fresh using an air popper, a pot on the stove or my paper bag microwave method (see my video) but do not use store bought popped or the packaged microwave kind. You’ll need a baking sheet with a rim so the mixture doesn’t spill out when you stir it.- Jenny Jones
- 8 cups fresh popped popcorn (1/3 cup popping corn)
- 3/4 cup any nuts (almonds/walnuts/pecans/dry roasted peanuts)
- 5 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 250º F.
- Place popped corn into a large bowl. Place the nuts on top.
- Heat the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring until butter is melted. Reduce heat and cook, undisturbed and uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat and stir in baking soda & vanilla.
- Pour the syrup over the nuts & popcorn, stirring quickly.
- Spread the mixture onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for one hour, removing briefly every 15 minutes to stir.
- Spread the mixture onto wax paper to cool. It will seem sticky at first but it will dry up nicely.
Note: Plain corn syrup is not the same as high fructose corn syrup.