If it takes a little chocolate to get your family to eat whole grain bread, this is the way - so no white bread allowed! It’s basically a sandwich with chocolate in between two slices of French toast. Try to find a soft whole wheat bread with at least 3 grams of fiber per slice. I use Rudi’s Organic 100% Whole Wheat Bread. The darker the chocolate, the more health benefits. The chocolate will melt so you don’t need any syrup, just a little powdered sugar on top if you like. - Jenny Jones
- 4 slices 100% whole wheat bread
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup 1% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or 1 1/2 oz. dark chocolate pieces)
- 1 teaspoon oil for greasing pan (olive or canola)
- In a large flat-bottom bowl or a pie pan, whisk together the eggs, milk and vanilla.
- Soak bread slices in pairs, turning once.
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Add a teaspoon of oil and cook bread on one side in pairs. After 2 minutes, when bottom is golden brown, flip one slice over, top with 2 tablespoons chocolate pieces, and top with the cooked side of the 2nd slice. In other words, you’re putting the two browned (& hot) sides together with chocolate in between, like a chocolate sandwich.
- When the sandwich is brown on the bottom, carefully turn it over and brown the other side.
- Serve plain or with a little powdered sugar. No syrup is needed.