Almonds taste best when toasted and cooled so I do that in advance, sometimes days/weeks before. This is a double-boiler method using a saucepan and glass bowl. I drop in 25 almonds at a time. They’re best kept refrigerated to keep them from melting in your hand. - Jenny Jones
- 1/2 cup toasted & cooled raw almonds (about 75 almonds)
- 3 ounce dark chocolate bar (I use World Market 72% cacao)
- Put one inch of water in a small saucepan.
- Place a pyrex glass bowl on top so it does not touch the water.
- Break chocolate into pieces and place in the bowl.
- Bring water to a boil and reduce heat to a bare simmer.
- Stir chocolate occasionally until it melts.
- While chocolate melts, set out 15 1-inch candy paper cups.
- When chocolate is melted, turn off the burner.
- Drop almonds into warm chocolate, turning over to cover and remove in clusters of five into candy cups. It’s easiest using two teaspoons.
- When finished, scrape any remaining chocolate with a small spatula and drizzle over the cups. (you may have to re-warm the chocolate)
- Cool on the counter or in the fridge. Keep refrigerated in a sealed container, in or out of the cups.
Note: Instead of paper cups, clusters can also be dropped directly onto wax paper but they will spread a little.
To toast almonds place on an ungreased baking sheet and into a preheated 350° F oven for 7-10 minutes. Cool completely.
For more on this recipe in my blog click here.