Chicken Veggie Rice
The more variety of veggies, the more health benefits. Cut soft veggies like zucchini and peppers in 1/2-inch pieces and hard ones like carrots in 1/4-inch pieces. - Jenny Jones
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 chicken breasts (3/4 pound) cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice (I use Uncle Ben's)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt + pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups chopped vegetables - 1/2-inch pieces (I have used zucchini, yellow squash, red & green bell peppers, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, broccoli and carrots) ...broccoli in florets, carrots in 1/4-inch slices.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, saute onion, garlic and chicken for 3 minutes.
- Stir in rice, chicken stock, salt & pepper.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- While rice cooks, prep vegetables.
- After 15 minutes, stir in vegetables, cover and cook 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand, undisturbed for 10 minutes.
- Stir well and serve.