Chicken Pot Pie
This is comfort food squared! The rich, creamy filling and flaky crust are made without cream or butter. It comes together quickly so have all your ingredients chopped before starting.- Jenny Jones
- 1 cup chicken stock (I use Swanson’s unsalted)
- 1 cup milk (I use whole milk)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 boneless chicken breasts (about 1 pound) cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 carrots, sliced 1/8-inch thick (1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, sliced 1/8-inch thick (1 cup)
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed on a paper towel
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (less if using salted stock)
- pepper to taste
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil (I use avocado oil)
- 1/3 cup milk (I use 2% milk)
- Egg wash (one egg yolk + 1 teaspoon water)
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together stock, milk, and flour until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in your biggest pan over med-high heat. Cook and stir onion, carrot, & celery for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken. Cook & stir for 2 minutes.
- Stir in peas followed by chicken stock mixture, salt & pepper. Cook, uncovered, for about 2 minutes until thick.
- Pour into a 9-inch deep dish pie pan. Set aside, uncovered.
- Combine flour and salt in a bowl.
- Add oil & milk all at once. Stir with a fork.
- Shape into a 5-inch disc and place between 2 sheets of floured wax paper. Roll into a 12-inch circle.
- Brush rim of pie pan with eggwash.
- Gently remove crust from wax paper by draping it over your arm and place onto pie. Trim away or flute overhanging crust, pressing down edges.
- Brush entire crust & edges with eggwash. With a sharp knife, poke about a dozen holes in the top to release steam.
- Place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes. Let stand 20 minutes before serving.