I love the mild cream cheese frosting with this spice cake but it also works with chocolate frosting. This cake can be made with part whole wheat pastry flour, and aerate all flour before measuring. - Jenny Jones
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon each: cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, & salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil (I use avocado oil)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
- 2 ounces reduced fat cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-3 teaspoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease an 8 or 9-inch round cake pan.
- Sift dry ingredients onto wax paper or into a bowl. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer on high, beat the sugar, oil & eggs for 2 minutes until thickened.
- On lowest speed add the buttermilk followed by the flour mixture.
- Spread into pan and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in the pan.
- In a bowl with an electric hand mixer beat cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Very slowly add just enough milk to get a spreading consistency.
- Frost just the top in the pan or remove to a plate and frost the top and sides.
No Buttermilk? See "Substitutions" in my blog.