I use the same biscuits for strawberry shortcake by adding a tablespoon of sugar to the dry ingredients. Biscuits really should be served immediately; otherwise, I split & freeze them. - Jenny Jones
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons cold butter
- 3/4 cup low fat buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 450° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sift dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Cut butter into flour mixture using a pastry cutter or two knives until mixture resembles cornmeal. (it takes about a minute)
- Add buttermilk, stirring briefly with a fork until combined.
- Place dough on a floured surface and knead 8-10 times. (it’s easy with a scraper)
- Roll or pat dough about 3/4 to 1-inch thick.
- Using a 2-inch round cutter, cut biscuits – do not twist – cutting straight down, dipping cutter into flour each time.
- Re-roll remaining dough for extra biscuits.
- Place biscuits on baking sheet, well spaced, and brush tops with milk or buttermilk.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until tops are golden. Serve right away.
No buttermilk? See Substitutions in my blog.