Braided Egg Bread with Poppy Seeds
If you like bread pudding, you’ll think you’re in heaven if you make it with this soft, fragrant bread. It's best to have all the ingredients at room temperature. - Jenny Jones
- 2 1/4 cups bread flour (or all purpose flour)
- 2 teaspoons RapidRise instant yeast (1 packet)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk (I use 1% or 2% low fat milk) warmed to 120°
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg + 1 yolk, lightly beaten
- additional 1/2 cup bread flour
- additional egg yolk for egg wash
- 1 Tablespoon poppy seeds
- Combine the flour, yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- Add warmed milk, oil, and egg + yolk to the flour mixture.
- Beat on high speed for two minutes.
- On low speed, stir in about 1/2 cup more flour until dough holds together.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface about 100 turns.
- Cover with plastic and let rest 10 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the dough into three and roll each piece into a 16-inch long strip. Braid as you would hair, tucking ends under and place on baking sheet. Cover with a towel and rise in a warm spot until double in size – 40 minutes to an hour.
- Meantime, prepare egg wash by combining 1 egg yolk with 1 teaspoon water. Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Brush loaf gently with egg wash and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. If top starts to brown too much, cover with a foil tent.