Chop the vegetables into small 1/4 to 3/8-inch pieces for quick cooking. The best liquid to use is homemade chicken soup for its extra health benefits but even using plain water, the healing properties are all still there. The amount of salt depends on the liquid used so check for salt at the end. - Jenny Jones
- 5 cups chicken broth, vegetable broth, or water
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced red pepper
- 1 cup diced potato
- 1 cup diced sweet potato
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1/2 teaspoon salt + pepper to taste
- 1 cup baby spinach, very firmly packed (1 ounce)
- 1 cup canned lima beans, drained (8 1/2 ounce can)
- Place all ingredients except spinach and lima beans in a soup pot.
- Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add spinach and lima beans. Taste for salt.
- If eating is difficult, the soup can be pureed to drink, or pureed and thinned to use a straw.
Notes: For more on this recipe in my blog click here.