Twenty minutes! Four ingredients! That’s all it takes to make this creamy, delicious, low-fat mac & cheese. Use mild or sharp cheddar as long as it’s reduced fat and for the best result, shred your own cheese. Be warned: It’s creamy-good but just because it’s low-fat doesn’t mean you can eat it all in one sitting. I tried… bad idea. 🙂 - Jenny Jones
- 2 1/2 cups milk (I use 1% low fat milk)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 12 ounces elbows or other pasta (about 4 cups)
- 8 ounces reduced fat cheddar cheese, which you shred or thinly slice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- Cook macaroni per package directions.
- Whisk together the milk and flour and place in a large sauté pan. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.
- Cook & stir about 10 minutes until thickened. Keep stirring as it can easily burn.
- Remove pan from heat. Stir in cheese, salt & pepper. Do not cook the sauce once the cheese is added.
- Add cooked & drained macaroni. Done.