Make sure the egg and oil are at room temperature and be sure to aerate your flour before measuring. No mixer? Just mix it in a bowl by hand but knead longer, about 150 turns. Sprouted wheat flour is high in protein, fiber, and nutrients. - Jenny Jones
- 2 cups (240 gms) sprouted whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup (60 gms) bread flour or all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (1 packet / 7 grams) instant yeast
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (240 mL) 1% milk, heated to 120-130° F
- 2 Tablespoons (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 2-4 Tablespoons additional bread flour or all purpose flour
- Place flours, yeast, sugar & salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in milk, followed by oil and egg.
- Beat on high for 2 minutes.
- On low speed add 2-4 Tablespoons a/p or bread flour until dough forms a soft mass.
- Place dough on floured surface and knead 50 turns.
- Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Shape dough into a loaf and place in a greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 3/4-inch loaf pan.
- Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm spot until it’s 1 1/2 inches taller than the pan, about 35 minutes.
- Meantime, preheat oven to 375° F.
- Bake for 30 minutes. After the first 15 minutes, I cover the top of the loaf with a foil tent to prevent over-browning.
- Remove immediately from pan onto a cooling rack. Let it cool at least 10 minutes before slicing.
Note: For more on Sprouted Wheat Flour in my blog click here.
Problems with this recipe? Click here.