Make sure the egg and oil are at room temperature and be sure to aerate your flour before measuring. No mixer? Just mix it in a bowl by hand but knead longer, about 150 turns. Sprouted wheat flour is high in protein, fiber, and nutrients. - Jenny Jones
- 2 cups (240 gms) sprouted whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup (60 gms) bread flour or all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (1 packet / 7 grams) instant yeast
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (240 mL) 1% milk, heated to 120-130° F
- 2 Tablespoons (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 2-4 Tablespoons additional bread flour or all purpose flour
- Place flours, yeast, sugar & salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in milk, followed by oil and egg.
- Beat on high for 2 minutes.
- On low speed add 2-4 Tablespoons a/p or bread flour until dough forms a soft mass.
- Place dough on floured surface and knead 50 turns.
- Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Shape dough into a loaf and place in a greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 3/4-inch loaf pan.
- Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm spot until it’s 1 1/2 inches taller than the pan, about 35 minutes.
- Meantime, preheat oven to 375° F.
- Bake for 30 minutes. After the first 15 minutes, I cover the top of the loaf with a foil tent to prevent over-browning.
- Remove immediately from pan onto a cooling rack. Let it cool at least 10 minutes before slicing.
Note: This loaf is not as sturdy as the similar whole wheat loaf. If it's too flimsy you can make it using half whole wheat flour and half sprouted flour.
For more on Sprouted Wheat Flour in my blog click here.