This traditional Polish holiday bread has a beautiful filling of poppy seeds, citrus peel and almonds. The poppy seeds must be ground first so you’ll need a spice grinder or an old fashioned meat grinder. And be sure to toast the almonds first. - Jenny Jones
- 1 1/2 cups bread (or all purpose) flour
- 1 packet (2 tsp/7 gms/1/4 oz) yeast - instant or active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup 1% milk heated to 120-130° F for instant yeast (or 110-120°F for active dry)
- 2 Tablespoons oil (I use canola oil or extra light olive oil)
- 1 egg
- about 3/4 cup extra flour
- 1 cup poppy seeds
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup ground toasted almonds (20 count)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- zest of 1/2 a lemon & 1/2 an orange
- Grind poppy seeds (see note below).
- Place in a small bowl, stir in boiling water & let stand uncovered.
- Grind almonds and set aside.
- Place flour, yeast, sugar, & salt in large mixing bowl.
- Stir in milk followed by oil & egg.
- Beat on high for 2 minutes. Stir in extra flour until dough forms a mass.
- Place dough on floured board and knead 100 turns (about 2 minutes). Cover & let rest 10 minutes.
- Meantime, add ground almonds, sugar, vanilla & zests to poppy seeds.
- Roll dough into a 10 x 12 shape. Spread filling almost to edges, roll starting at 10-inch end and place on parchment-lined baking sheet, seam side down. Pinch and tuck ends under.
- Cover with a towel and rise in a warm spot for 1 1/2 hours or until double in size.
- Preheat oven to 350° F and bake for 35 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes & drizzle with glaze (1 cup powdered sugar + about 2 Tbsp. milk, added slowly)
- (Another option): Before baking, you can brush with eggwash and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
Note: If using a spice grinder (mine is a Cuisinart Spice & Nut Grinder) grind seeds slowly, 2 Tbsp. at a time, until they feel moist – about 10 seconds per each portion. Scoop out any that stick to the bottom of the grinder as you go. Once they are all ground, I use the same grinder to grind the almonds.