If you ever wanted to have cake for breakfast, this is the one. It has whole grains, eggs, and a beautiful crispy broiled topping. Before you start, set one oven rack close to the top for broiling so you don’t have to move it when it's hot but leave the main rack in the center for the cake. And when you’re broiling, DON’T WALK AWAY. Keep checking as it only takes a few too many seconds for the top to burn. - Jenny Jones
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/4 cups boiling water
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tablespoon oil (canola or extra light olive oil)
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup + 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Tablespoon transfat-free spread (or softened butter)
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup diced pecans (preferably toasted)
- Preheat oven to 350° F & grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Pour boiling water over oats in a small bowl. Let stand, uncovered, for 10 min.
- Sift flour thru salt onto wax paper & set aside.
- In a large bowl with electric mixer on medium-hi, beat oil, eggs, sugar & vanilla 2-3 minutes until thick.
- On lowest speed, slowly stir in warm oat & water mixture, followed by flour mixture.
- Bake 35 minutes or until a toothpick in center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, prepare the topping below.
- When cake is done, let cool for 2 minutes. Move oven rack to the top and set oven to broil.
- In a small bowl, combine ingredients using your fingers.
- Cover cake with topping and broil for about a minute until browned. Check it every few seconds!
No whole wheat pastry flour? See Substitutions in my blog.