Haluski Cabbage & Noodles
This Polish comfort food is basically a stir-fry so prep everything in advance because it cooks quickly. Try it with sauerkraut - see my note below. - Jenny Jones
- 1 Tablespoon butter + 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon salt + pepper to taste
- 3 ounces egg noodles (about 1 1/2 cups uncooked)
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- Start water for the noodles.
- In a large pan, melt butter & oil over medium-high heat and cook the onion for 3-4 minutes until golden.
- When onions are done, start cooking the noodles.
- To the onions, add cabbage, caraway seeds, salt & pepper. Cook and stir for 6-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in drained noodles and 1 tablespoon butter.
- Reduce the cabbage to 3 cups.
- Reduce salt to 1/2 teaspoon.
- After adding cabbage to the onions, saute for 2 minutes.
- Add one cup of drained sauerkraut and cook another 5 minutes.
- Finish per step #5.