Everyone raves about my meat loaf recipe and you’ll see why. Serve it with real mashed potatoes or you’ll love it the next day in a fantastic meat loaf sandwich. Be sure to use a baking sheet and not a loaf pan so any grease can run off and all sides can brown. - Jenny Jones
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/3 cup 1% milk
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds extra lean ground beef
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside.
- In a small pan sauté the onion, garlic and thyme in oil over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients, including cooled onion mixture, except the meat. When mixture is well blended add the meat by hand but do not overwork it.
- Place on baking sheet and shape into a 9 by 5-inch loaf. Bake for about an hour or until the center reaches 160° F. Let rest 10 minutes.
Note: Too much meat loaf? For my recipe using only ONE pound of ground beef, click here.