I call it “lazy lasagna” because it tastes like lasagna but without all the work. Using the leanest beef and part skim cheeses makes this easy casserole light and healthy. There are many different brands of sauce so taste your meat sauce and add salt or spices if you like. - Jenny Jones
- 10 ounces ziti pasta
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup copped onion
- 1 large clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 24-ounce jar marinara sauce (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 6 ounces part skim mozzarella, shredded by hand
- 6 teaspoons grated parmesan
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Start the water for pasta.
- In a big pan sauté onion & garlic in oil over med-high heat for 2 min.
- Add meat, stirring to break it up. Cook for 3 min. until the pink is gone.
- Add sauce & pour 1/4 cup water into the jar, cover & shake, and pour the rest of the sauce into the pan. (meantime, start the pasta)
- Cook sauce for 10 minutes. Taste for salt & add extra spices if you like.
- Drain pasta, return to pasta cooking pot & stir in ricotta.
- Spread 1/2 cup sauce into a large baking pan (2 1/2 qt / 2.8 liter).
- Add 3 layers as follows: 1/3 of the ziti, 1/3 of the meat sauce, 1/3 of the mozarella, and 1/3 of the parmesan.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
Notes: For more on this recipe in my blog click here.