Homemade carrot cake is the best! I use a box-style grater to shred the carrots. The best way to drain the pineapple is to squeeze it in your hand. Bake and frost just the top in the pan or double the frosting recipe, split the cake and make 2 layers. - Jenny Jones
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup low fat buttermilk
- 3/4 cup grated carrot, lightly packed (one great big carrot)
- 1/2 of an 8-ounce can crushed pineapple in its own juice, well drained (pineapple is optional - see note below)
- 1/2 cup diced toasted pecans
- 2 ounces reduced fat cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-3 teaspoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease an 8-inch round baking pan.
- Sift dry ingredients into a bowl or onto wax paper. Set aside.
- With electric mixer on medium-high speed beat the oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla for 3 minutes until thick.
- Reduce speed and add buttermilk, carrot, & pineapple followed by flour mixture. Fold in pecans.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in the pan. Frost and keep refrigerated.
- Beat all ingredients well and add just enough milk, a little bit at a time, to get a good spreading consistency.
No buttermilk? See Substitutions in my blog.
To Skip The Pineapple increase buttermilk to 1/2 cup and sugar to 2/3 cup.