Nutritionally, this may be the perfect meal, with fiber from the beans and anti-aging compounds from the peppers. For a spicy kick, replace some of the bell peppers with jalapeno peppers. - Jenny Jones
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup diced celery (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups diced bell peppers (I mix red, green & orange or yellow)
- 3/4 cup brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock or water
- 1 15-ounce can red or kidney beans, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt + pepper to taste
- In a large skillet over medium-hi heat, sauté onion & garlic in oil for 2 minutes until soft.
- Add celery and peppers and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add dry rice and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add stock and beans and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand at least 10 minutes.
- Stir in salt and pepper.
Note: You can make this recipe using white rice (I use Uncle Ben's Converted Rice) and reduce the cooking time from 45 to 20 minutes.