Chocolate Loaf Cake
This easy loaf works with either whole wheat pastry flour or all purpose flour. Chocolate chips and nuts are optional but I do recommend them. It's best to have all your ingredients at room temperature. - Jenny Jones
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk (reduced fat or whole milk)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup finely chopped toasted walnuts and/or pecans
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Line a loaf pan with foil or parchment paper for no cleanup. Mine is 4 1/2 x 8 1/2 inches.
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt onto wax paper or into a bowl. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer on high, beat the egg whites until stiff. Remove to a plate or wax paper.
- Using the same mixing bowl, beat the sugar, oil, egg yolks, and vanilla for 1 minute.
- On lowest speed slowly add the milk followed by the flour mixture.
- By hand, gently fold in half of the egg whites.
- Add chocolate chips, nuts, and remaining egg whites. Gently fold mixture together.
- Spread into pan and bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. (45 minutes if using all purpose flour or 50 minutes if using whole wheat pastry flour)