This easy loaf is foolproof, using either whole wheat pastry flour or all purpose flour. It's best to have all your ingredients at room temperature. Chocolate chips and nuts are optional but I highly recommend them. - Jenny Jones
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup extra light olive oil or any vegetable oil
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup 1% low fat milk
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup finely chopped toasted walnuts and/or pecans
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Line a loaf pan with foil for no cleanup. Mine is 4 1/2 x 8 1/2 inches.
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt onto wax paper or into a bowl. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer on high, beat the egg whites until stiff. Remove to a plate or wax paper.
- Using the same mixing bowl, beat the sugar, oil, egg yolks, and vanilla for 1 minute.
- On lowest speed slowly add the milk followed by the flour mixture.
- By hand, gently fold in half of the egg whites.
- Add chocolate chips, nuts, and remaining egg whites. Gently fold mixture together.
- Spread into pan and bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. (45 minutes if using all purpose flour or 50 minutes if using whole wheat pastry flour)