Potato Salad No Mayo
Use a thin knife to test potatoes for doneness - it keeps them from getting waterlogged. Peel and dice the potatoes at the last minute to keep them hot, and be sure to use a non-reactive bowl like glass. - Jenny Jones
- 1 1/2 pounds red skin potatoes
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion, green or white
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil or extra light olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 Tablespoons potato cooking water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt + pepper to taste
- 3 Tablespoons mashed potato
- Cover whole unpeeled potatoes with cold salted water, bring to a boil, cover & simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.
- While potatoes cook, combine dressing ingredients (except mashed potato).
- Drain potatoes. Cut off a small piece. Peel and mash about 3 tablespoons of potato with a fork until smooth and whisk into the dressing.
- Peel and dice hot potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes & place in a glass bowl.
- Pour dressing over hot, diced potatoes and toss. Let cool for 5 minutes and toss again.
- Stir in celery, onion, eggs, and parsley.
- Cover and refrigerate.