I like to use thick oats when I can find them. The egg white gives the bran and flax body and gives the whole mixture more crunch. Using toasted nuts also adds to the crunch. Be sure to keep an eye on the granola towards the end -- you want it well browned but not overdone. Jenny Jones
- 1/2 cup wheat bran (also called MIller's Bran)
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed meal
- 1 egg white
- 3 cups rolled oats (not quick oats)
- 1 cup chopped nuts (I use toasted walnuts, almonds & pecans)
- 1/4 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (1/4 cup works too)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (I use avocado oil)
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Place bran, flax, and egg white on an ungreased baking pan.
- Combine well using your hands.
- Add remaining ingredients, combining well.
- Bake about 30 - 35 minutes, stirring at 20 minutes, then check every 5 minutes. Bake until well browned - watch carefully.
- Cool in the pan. Don't under-bake.