No cinnamon? That's right. I prefer it without cinnamon so I can taste the apples but add some if you like. Dice the apples into small pieces (1/4 to 1/2-inch) so they cook completely. This cake is best served while still warm. - Jenny Jones
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups diced apple, 1/4-1/2-inch pieces (3/4 pound Granny Smith apples)
- (Topping: 2 Tablespoons sugar)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
- In a large bowl sift the 2 flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a measuring cup, whisk together the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Set aside.
- Peel, core, and chop apples into small pieces, no bigger than 1/2-inch.
- By hand, gently stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture. Do not over-mix.
- Gently fold in diced apples.
- Spread batter into cake pan and sprinkle 2 Tbsp. sugar over the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Note: There's more on this recipe in my blog. Click here.