There's no butter here, just delicious swirls of brown sugar and cinnamon. Have all your ingredients at room temperature and ALWAYS AERATE YOUR FLOUR BEFORE MEASURING. - Jenny Jones
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 packet (2 tsp/7 gm) instant yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk (reduced fat or whole milk) heated to 120-130° F
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil (I use avocado oil)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup raisins (I mix yellow and red raisins)
- about 1/3 cup additional flour
- milk for brushing
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- Combine flour, yeast, sugar & salt in a mixing bowl.
- Add warm milk followed by oil and egg.
- Beat with electric mixer on medium-high for 2 minutes.
- Stir in raisins and enough flour to form a mass (about 1/3 cup).
- Transfer to a floured surface and knead for 2 minutes, about 80 turns.
- Cover dough and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Meantime combine brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and grease an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan.
- Roll dough into 12 x 8-inch rectangle.
- Brush liberally with milk. Top with the brown sugar mix, leaving 1/2-inch on long sides and 1-inch at far end.
- Roll tightly, starting at narrow end. Pinch both ends well to keep filling from escaping, and tuck under.
- Place seam side down in loaf pan, cover with a towel and let rise in a warm spot until it's one inch above the rim of the pan - about 40 minutes.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350° F for 30-35 minutes. After 15 minutes, place a foil tent on top of loaf to prevent over-browning. Loaf is done when interior measures 195-200° F.
- Remove immediately from pan and cool loaf on a rack, on its side.
No electric mixer? You can combine by hand but knead longer, about 5 minutes.
Gaps inside your bread? See my blog post for more. Click here.