- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (Dutch process is best)
- 2 cups milk (whole milk or low fat)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 ounce dark 70% chocolate (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and cocoa powder.
- In a measuring cup, combine the milk & egg yolk.
- Slowly whisk the milk mixture into the dry mixture and combine well until there are no lumps.
- Once it boils it will thicken in less than a minute so keep stirring until it’s thick.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Pour into serving cups and serve warm or refrigerate.