You don’t need butter to make delicious brownies. This updated recipe takes less than 30 minutes start-to-finish, using whole wheat flour and no butter. Toasting the nuts first will do wonders for the flavor and you can use chocolate chips but dark chocolate chunks will provide more heart-healthy benefits. - Jenny Jones
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Dutch-processed cocoa)
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup oil of your choice (I use extra light olive oil)
- 1/3 cup plain 2% yogurt (Greek style)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup toasted nuts, chopped (I mix pecans and walnuts)
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chunks (or chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Line a 9 x 9-inch square pan with foil, dull side up, leaving extra edges for lifting.
- Sift dry ingredients onto wax paper or into a bowl.
- In another bowl by hand, combine oil, yogurt, sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
- Stir in dry ingredients.
- Stir in nuts and chocolate pieces.
- Spread into baking pan, spreading batter to the edges.
- Bake for 17-18 minutes, never more than 20. You’re supposed to “cool in the pan on a wire rack” for about 2 hours… like that’s going to happen!