This is pudding from my childhood and I still love it today. Be sure to shake the box of tapioca before measuring. For chocolate lovers, you can gently stir in 2-3 tablespoons of chocolate chips just before pouring into your serving cups, but don't stir too much - they will melt on their own. - Jenny Jones
- 2 cups milk (I use 1% low fat milk)
- 1/4 cup Minute Tapioca (shake or stir before measuring)
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 egg white
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, combine the milk, tapioca, 3 T sugar, and egg yolk. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meantime, in a small bowl using an electric hand mixer, beat the egg white, 2 T sugar, and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Cook the milk mixture over medium-high heat, stirring regularly, until it comes to a full boil.
- Cook and stir for one minute, reducing heat if needed.
- Remove from heat and stir in beaten egg white mixture - use a spatula, whisk, or the electric hand mixer on low speed.
- Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir again and pour into serving cups. It will firm up as it cools. Serve warm or refrigerate.