Good news: canned pumpkin has more vitamin A than fresh. This vitamin supports eye health and promote beautiful hair and skin. The secret to good muffins is not to over-mix. If you can't get whole wheat pastry flour, this recipe also works with only all-purpose flour (2 1/2 cups). - Jenny Jones
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole grain pastry flour
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup milk (I use 1% low fat milk)
- 1/3 cup any vegetable oil (I use extra light olive oil)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (best if toasted first)
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan or insert paper liners.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl combine the pumpkin, milk, oil and eggs until the mixture is smooth.
- Fold pumpkin mixture into the flour mixture. Fold in chocolate chips & nuts. Do not over-mix.
- Divide batter between muffin cups and bake for 20-25 minutes.