Whole wheat tortillas turn soft when baked in a casserole. You can make this dish spicier by using a hotter pepper, like serrano, or even habanero (if you dare!). And don't use pre-shredded cheese. - Jenny Jones
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup chopped jalapeño pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh tomatoes, chopped (4 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt + pepper to taste
- 8 flour tortillas - six to eight-inch size (I use whole wheat, my recipe)
- 15 ounce can low sodium pinto beans, drained
- 6 ounces reduced fat Monterey jack cheese, shredded by hand
- Preheat oven to 350° F and grease a 2 1/2 quart glass baking dish.
- Heat oil and saute onions & garlic over med-high heat for 1 minute.
- Add jalapeños. Cook & stir 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, salt & pepper. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Tear or cut each tortilla into 5 or 6 rough pieces.
- Make 3 layers in this order: tortillas, beans, tomatoes & cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Serve with sour cream.