A few pointers: 1) Separate the eggs in advance. It’s easier when they’re cold but it’s best to use them at room temperature. 2) You can use the same mixing bowl for the egg whites and then the cheese mixture by transferring the beaten egg whites to another holding bowl. 3) If you can’t get the crumbs to coat the bottom of the pan evenly, sprinkle a little extra on the bare spots. - Jenny Jones
- 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 4 egg whites
- 2 pounds ricotta cheese (I use part-skim ricotta, which has less fat)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- zest of one large or two small lemons
- zest of one orange
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Generously grease bottom & sides of a 9-inch springform pan with butter.
- Add crumbs & tilt the pan to coat the bottom & sides. Leave loose crumbs on the bottom.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form and set aside.
- Drain cheese in a fine mesh strainer to eliminate water. Place in a food processor and process for 2 minutes until smooth.
- Transfer cheese to a mixing bowl. Beating on medium-high speed, add eggs one at a time. Slowly add sugar and vanilla. This process takes about 5 minutes.
- Reduce mixer speed to low & stir in flour and zests.
- Using a spatula, gently fold in egg whites.
- Pour into pan, smooth the top and bake for one hour or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool completely (2 hrs.) on a wire rack. Refrigerate before serving.
Notes: For more on this recipe in my blog click here.