Everything in one bowl and that’s it. You can use my “extras” or invent your own. Some suggestions: chopped almonds, walnuts, pecans or peanuts, dried blueberries, cherries, cranberries or raisins & chocolate chips. - Jenny Jones
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats (not quick or instant)
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- 1 cup of “extras” - I like chopped toasted walnuts, almonds &
- pecans, dried cherries & chocolate chips (mini or regular)
- 1/3 cup oil (any vegetable oil, canola or extra-light olive oil)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Line a 9” x 9” square pan with 2 criss-cross sheets of parchment paper (not foil) leaving extra overhang on all sides. Click to see how.
- Combine oats, brown sugar, coconut and extras in a large bowl.
- Combine honey, oil, and vanilla in a measuring cup.
- Add honey mixture to oat mixture and combine well.
- Spread in baking pan, pressing down very firmly, taking about a minute to press as hard as you can. See my note below.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Cool completely in pan. (mine takes an hour to cool on a cooling rack)
- Remove from pan (using parchment handles) to cutting board. Remove paper and cut into bars. Store each bar individually wrapped air-tight in plastic wrap or a mini snack bag, refrigerated. Then grab and go.
Note: Pressing the bars down very firmly before baking is key. Try using a spatula and press it all over the mixture, many times over.
Bars not holding together? Try pressing them down again after baking. Let them cool for 10 minutes and press down firmly while warm, then let them cool COMPLETELY before cutting.