No eggs. No butter. No mixer. One bowl. My frosting has a little butter but you can omit the butter and use it as a glaze.. - Jenny Jones
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch-processed)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (not baking powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cool water
- 6 Tablespoons oil (I use extra-light olive oil)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice or distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Sift dry ingredients into a bowl and set aside.
- In a measuring cup combine water, oil, juice or vinegar, and vanilla.
- Add liquids to bowl & gently stir until there are no lumps (about 30 seconds).
- Pour into pan and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely in the pan and frost, glaze, or dust with powdered sugar.
Notes: I make my frosting with 2 Tbsp. softened butter, 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 Tbsp. cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp. vanilla + about 3 tsp. milk. I frost only the top - right in the pan.
For more on this recipe in my blog click here.