These crisp, sweet, and tangy pickles are ready to eat in 3 hours. They’ll be softer if you peel them and crisper if you don’t. I use a 24 oz. glass jar that spaghetti sauce comes in. They are best eaten within two weeks. - Jenny Jones
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar (use 2/3 - 3/4 cup if you like them sweeter)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon each celery seed, mustard seed, & coriander seed
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 4 firm pickling Kirby (or Persian) cucumbers thinly sliced
- Place water, sugar and salt in a small saucepan. Heat and stir until sugar & salt are dissolved.
- Pour the warm water into a large glass jar.
- Add vinegar and the three spices (seeds).
- Add cucumber slices and onions in alternating layers.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
Note: Container sizes will vary. If your cuces & onions are not fully submerged just add more liquid to cover (half water/half vinegar).