If your butter is cold you can cut it into 4 - 5 smaller pieces and add it to the milk. Then microwave them together for about a minute. That will warm the milk and soften the butter just enough. ALWAYS AERATE YOUR FLOUR BEFORE MEASURING - Jenny Jones
- 2 cups all purpose flour or bread flour
- 2 teaspoons (1 packet/ 7 gms) instant yeast
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 1% low fat milk heated to 120-130° F
- 2 Tablespoons softened butter or a trans fat-free margarine
- 1 egg at room temperature
- additional 1/2 to 3/4 cup flour
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, yeast, sugar & salt.
- Stir in warmed milk & butter (or margarine), then egg.
- Beat on high for 2 minutes.
- Stir in enough flour to make a firm dough (about 1/2-3/4 cup).
- Remove to a floured surface and knead 100 turns until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Cover and let dough rest 10 minutes.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the dough into 16 pieces. Shape into balls & place on baking sheet.
- Cover with a dish towel and let rise in a warm place 30 minutes to an hour, until doubled in size. While rising, preheat oven to 375° F.
- Bake 10- 12 minutes until golden brown.
Note: For soft whole wheat rolls simple replace half the flour with whole wheat flour.