No cheating. You need a 70% chocolate bar, which most groceries have and World Market sells them. There’s no cleanup if you use foil & wax paper. Be sure the chocolate isn’t too hot when you add the eggs or they will cook. This recipe does NOT work with whole wheat pastry flour. (I always try!) - Jenny Jones
- 3 ounce bar 70% bittersweet dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (Dutch process is best)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup toasted walnuts/pecans + 1/4 cup choc chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a saucepan on very low heat, melt chocolate with oil, stirring a few times. Remove from heat to cool down.
- Line an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with foil and grease the bottom only... or line with ungreased parchment paper. Leave enough extra foil or parchment to use as "handles."
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt onto wax paper or into a bowl. Set aside.
- To the saucepan, stir in sugar by hand followed by eggs and vanilla. Stir as little as possible.
- Stir in flour/cocoa mixture followed by nuts and chocolate chips.
- Spread evenly into pan and bake for 20 min – no more.
Notes: For more on this recipe in my blog click here.