These whole wheat brownies use one large 1/2 pound Granny Smith apple. Be sure to toast the nuts first for the best flavor. I prefer a mix of toasted walnuts and pecans. (this recipe has been updated and simplified from the original) - Jenny Jones
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt (I use Fage 2% - never fat free)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups diced apple (1/2-inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts or pecans (or a mix of both)
- Glaze: (optional)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- about 2 teaspoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9 x 9-inch square pan.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine yogurt, egg, and water until smooth. Set aside.
- Peel, core, and dice apples. Chop walnuts.
- Stir yogurt mixture into flour mixture.
- Fold in apples and nuts. Mixture will be very thick.
- Spread evenly into pan and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Combine glaze ingredients and drizzle over top.