You only have to look at the long list of ingredients on a box of pudding mix to know why I make my own. It just takes a few ingredients (and about 5 minutes) and it tastes a lot richer than you think. No junk, no chemicals, and it contains calcium for strong bones. Try this once and you’ll never go back to the box. - Jenny Jones
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (Dutch process is best)
- 2 cups of 1% milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and cocoa powder.
- In a measuring cup, combine the milk & egg yolk.
- Slowly whisk the milk mixture into the dry mixture and combine well until there are no lumps.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it comes to a gentle boil. If desired, add a 1-inch piece of dark chocolate.
- Once it boils it will thicken in less than a minute so keep stirring until it’s thick.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Pour into serving cups and serve warm or refrigerate.