Whole grain pancakes can still be light and fluffy, and buckwheat pancakes are the way go. Buckwheat has fiber, protein, and more anti-aging phytonutrients than some vegetables. Look for buckwheat flour at the health food store. - Jenny Jones
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons oil (canola or extra light olive oil)
- Preheat a griddle to medium-high (375°).
- Sift dry ingredients into a bowl.
- In another bowl combine buttermilk, egg, and oil.
- Fold buttermilk mixture into flour mixture. Do not over-mix.
- Cook about 3 minutes per side. Non-stick pans don’t need to be greased but you can rub the pan with a stick of butter.
No buttermilk? No whole wheat pastry flour? See Substitutions in my blog.